Safe and convenient bicycle parking can benefit a business. Providing bike parking in front of a business can increase overall parking capacity at a small cost, attract customers who ride bicycles and provide a free downtown parking space for employees.
A Bicycle Parking Guide for Businesses provides information for businesses considering the installation of bike facilities.
Examples of Bike Parking Guides for Businesses:
Develop a Bicycle Parking Guide for Businesses that includes the following:
- Describe the benefits of investing in a bicycle parking space.
- Provide detailed bicycle parking guidelines, such as space, size and location requirements.
- Describe the different options for short-term and long-term bicycle parking (bike racks, bike lockers, bike rooms, etc.).
- Supply list of bike parking manufacturers and suppliers.
- Some communities offer free bike rack installation in front of a business by request, as long is there is enough room in the right-of-way.
In addition, some communities adopt bicycle parking ordinances that specify a minimum level of bicycle parking requirements for different building types and land uses. Click here for some examples.