The City celebrates national bike month annually in May with group rides, classes, bike rodeo, and other ways to promote bike riding in Ferndale. 2017 was the first bike month and below are more details for 2018's activities!
- Group Bike Rides - This year's leisurely group rides will take place on 3 occasions (weather permitting) and take a leisurely pace within Ferndale and surrounding communities. Rides are at a family friendly pace and typically last 75-90 minutes (10-13 miles). Bike rides will take place on May 9, 22, and 30 and begin at 7:00pm leaving from the Downtown Ferndale Bike Shop (W. Troy side). Official route maps will be posted the day of the ride. Be sure to RSVP at these links: May 9th ride, May 22nd ride, May 30th ride.
- Parks Tour Group Bike Ride - On Saturday, May 5th this group bike ride will incorporate stops at Ferndale and Royal Oak parks. The Ferndale Parks and Recreation Department will host this leisurely ride starting 11:00am from Schiffer Park (W. 9 Mile and Planavon) and showcase recent improvements, as well as upcoming park plans. Be sure to RSVP at this link.
- Health and Fitness Group Bike Ride with The Fit Park - Another leisurely bike ride on Saturday, May 12th between communities will incorporate mini-workouts with trainers from Ferndale's own The Fit Park. Riders will bicycle around town and stop for 4 workouts on our way to the Royal Oak Farmer's Market for healthy snacks (purchased separately). The bike ride leader will lead riders back to Ferndale after the visit to the Farmer's Market. Start time is 10:30am leaving from The Fit Park (911 W. Nine Mile, Ferndale). Be sure to RSVP at this link.
- Downtown Bike Rodeo - Ferndale Parks and Recreation, the Ferndale DDA, and City of Ferndale team up for the third year to bring you the Downtown Bike Rodeo. The family friendly event will take place on Thursday, May 17th at Schiffer Park (9 Mile & Planavon) from 4pm to 8pm. Featuring FREE bike inspections from the Downtown Ferndale Bike Shop, FREE bike skills test and bike licensing (must be a Ferndale resident for license) courtesy of the Ferndale Police Dept. and Police Auxiliary, FREE bike helmets (for kids) thanks to the Ferndale Rotary, and many more details to come! Please note: you must have your bike with you for licensing and helmets. Be sure to RSVP at this link.
- Detroit Bike To Work Day - Join community members across the region on Friday, May 18th for Detroit Bike To Work Day. Ferndale residents can meet other riders at W. Troy and Woodward to join the caravan on the trek to Downtown Detroit. Register for FREE at this link.
- Bicycling 101 Class - Are you interested in the rules of the road, hand signals, bike routes, and information on new bike lanes? Join us for a Bicycling 101 class at the Ferndale Area District Library on May 23 at 6:30pm. Be sure to RSVP at this link.
Have any questions regarding Bike Month? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.