May is National Bike Month, sponsored by the League of American Bicyclists and celebrated in communities from coast to coast. Established in 1956, National Bike Month is a chance to showcase the many benefits of bicycling — and encourage more folks to giving biking a try.
In May the City of Ferndale will align with national efforts across the country and celebrate our bike-friendly city. It might not be a typical bike month due to COVID-19, but it's a time to recognize bicycling as a viable and environmentally sound form of transportation and excellent form of recreation. Instead of group bicycle rides and education classes, residents will be encouraged to ride solo across Ferndale's bicycling routes (6 feet apart, of course) or give their bikes a tune-up. Even though we'll be riding solo, be sure to join the free Ferndale Bike Month group on the free website, I Love To Ride and let's see how far we can ride as a community all month long.
Whether biking to the grocery store or a neighborhood park; riding to save money or time; pumping those pedals to preserve health or the environment; or simply to explore our community on two wheels, National Bike Month is an opportunity to celebrate the unique power of the bicycle and the many reasons we ride. Below are upcoming virtual and solo activities throughout the entire month of May, including opportunities to win prizes!
- Bicycle Riding during COVID-19: Please review this page with safety tips for people on bikes during COVID-19.
- Track Your Rides on I Love To Ride: Join the free Ferndale Bike Month group on the free website, I Love To Ride. Keep track of group goals, add photos of your rides, and enter your rides all month long. Three gift cards are available to riders with the most miles by May 31st in 3 age categories (under 25, 26-49, 50+).
- Bike Month Bingo: Download the bingo card at this link with destinations and activities to complete until May 31st. Once you have a completed card, email the Downtown Ferndale Development Authority (email@example.com) any photos of activities or proof of purchase to be entered into a raffle for a $25 gift card to the Downtown Ferndale business of your choice. 5 gift cards worth $25 each will be available at the end of May!
- Ride Solo Routes: Visit this Google Map to plan your solo ride around Ferndale. There are routes for a variety of distances, a family friendly ride route, and route to Ferndale parks. Don't forget to ride solo and stay 6 feet from other riders.
- Safety Videos: Be sure to check out the Ferndale Moves FAQ page for safety videos and other tips before you hop on your bicycle.