May is National Bike Month, sponsored by the League of American Bicyclists and celebrated in communities from coast to coast. Established in 1956, National Bike Month is a chance to showcase the many benefits of bicycling — and encourage more folks to giving biking a try.
In May the City of Ferndale will align with national efforts across the country and celebrate our bike-friendly city. It might not be a typical bike month due to COVID-19, but it's a time to recognize bicycling as a viable and environmentally sound form of transportation and excellent form of recreation. Instead of group bicycle rides, residents will be encouraged to ride solo across Ferndale's bicycling routes (masked up and 6 feet apart, of course), participate in self-guided scavenger hunts and bingo, attend a family-friendly Safety Town event, or socially-distanced edition of MoGo Bike Share's Street Skills 101.
Whether biking to the grocery store or a neighborhood park; riding to save money or time; pumping those pedals to preserve health or the environment; or simply to explore our community on two wheels, National Bike Month is an opportunity to celebrate the unique power of the bicycle and the many reasons we ride. Below are upcoming virtual and solo activities throughout the entire month of May, including opportunities to win prizes!
- Track Your Rides on I Love To Ride: Join the free Ferndale Bike Month group on the free website, I Love To Ride. Keep track of group goals, add photos of your rides, and enter your rides all month long. Two (2) gift cards from the Downtown Ferndale Development Authority are available to riders with the most miles by May 31st.
- Bike Month Activity Calendar: Families can participate every day of Bike Month with the InPact at Home Activity Calendar HERE. Activities are available everyday for families to get fit, stay active, and become stronger bike riders.
- Earth Day Scavenger Hunt (now, until April 29th): Check out the Earth Day Scavenger Hunt clues HERE, find what the clue is asking for around Ferndale, and take a picture! Send your photos (as many as you can complete) to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 29th for a chance to win a $25 gift card to the Downtown Ferndale business of your choice. Two (2) gift cards from the Downtown Ferndale Development Authority are available.
- Street Skills: Confident City Cycling with MoGo on May 15th: MoGo's Confident City Cycling (located at the Kulick Community Center, 1pm-3pm) is a two-hour biking class for anyone with experience riding a bike, but may not feel comfortable riding in an urban environment. In this class, we’ll review proper signals, where you should ride on the road, positioning at intersections, and more! Register HERE.
- Safety Town on May 20th: Join this FREE family friendly event at Garbutt Park (200 Gardendale St) from 6p-7p where you'll learn a variety of safety tips from Parks and Recreation, Fire Department, and Police Department staff. Register HERE.
- Bike to Work Day on May 21st: The City of Detroit and Detroit Greenways Coalition are leading annual Bike to Work Day. If you aren't biking to work, no problem! Whether you are working from home, taking classes from home, or at the office, get outside and ride! Learn more at the Detroit Bike to Work Day page and register for the Detroit Bike Challenge website HERE.
- Bike Month Bingo: Download the bingo card HERE with destinations and activities to complete until May 31st. Once you have a completed card, email the City (email@example.com) any photos of activities or proof of purchase to be entered into a raffle for a $25 gift card to the Downtown Ferndale business of your choice or one (1) monthly pass from MoGo Bike Share. Two (2) DDA gift cards worth $25 each and one (1) monthly pass from MoGo Bike Share will be available at the end of May!
- Bike Month Scavenger Hunt (May 27th-June 1st): Here's your first clue: BMX tricks can be done here! Roll around Ferndale to find the rest of the clues and email firstname.lastname@example.org by June 1st to be entered to win a $25 gift card to the Downtown Ferndale business of your choice or a monthly pass from MoGo Bike Share. Two (2) DDA gift cards worth $25 each and one (1) monthly pass from MoGo Bike Share will be available at the end of May!
- Ride Solo Routes: Visit this Google Map HERE to plan your solo ride around Ferndale. There are routes for a variety of distances, a family friendly ride route, and route to Ferndale parks. Don't forget to ride solo and stay 6 feet from other riders.
- Safety Videos: Be sure to check out the Ferndale Moves FAQ page for safety videos and other tips before you hop on your bicycle.
Have any questions regarding Bike Month? Email email@example.com.