On March 13, Oakland County declared a county-wide State of Emergency to encourage social distancing and help stop the spread of Covid-19 Novel coronavirus. The City of Ferndale takes the health and safety of our community very seriously and we're doing everything we can to support State and County health organizations.
The Governor's Stay Home Executive Order allows an exception for individuals "To engage in outdoor activity, including walking, hiking, running, cycling, or any other recreational activity consistent with remaining at least six feet from people from outside the individual’s household." The Center for Disease Control (CDC) even suggests that going outdoors and "staying physically active is one of the best ways to keep your mind and body healthy."
Many members of the community have taken the opportunity to get physical activity outside by visiting parks, walking around the city, and riding bicycles, skateboards, and wheels of all sorts. To stay safe while riding a bicycle in the community, please consider the following:
- Ride solo and do not participate in group bicycle rides.
- Stay at least 6 feet away from others (“social distancing”) and take other steps to prevent COVID-19.
- Do not go bicycle riding or practice outdoor activities if you are feeling sick.
- Bring hand sanitizer on your ride with at least 60% alcohol to use if soap and water are not available.
- Face-coverings or masks are not required, but the Michigan order 2020-59 states "Any individual able to medically tolerate a face covering must wear a covering over his or her nose and mouth—such as a homemade mask, scarf, bandana, or handkerchief—when in any enclosed public space."
For more helpful information to consider before riding a bicycle or undertaking physical activity outside, please review these resources:
- "The City of Ferndale's COVID-19 Response" (City of Ferndale)
- "How to make your own face-covering" Video (CDC)
- "Use of Cloth Face Coverings to Help Slow the Spread of COVID-19" (CDC)
- "Visiting Parks and Recreation Facilities" (CDC)
- "Keeping Children Healthy While School’s Out" (CDC)
- "Social Distancing, Quarantine, and Isolation" (CDC)
- "Healthy biking and walking during the Stay Home order" (Detroit Greenways Coalition)