- Transportation Options – making walking, bicycling and transit easy, attractive and convenient choices for everyday trips.
- Safety – balancing the needs and improving the safety of all road users.
- Placemaking – transforming the City’s streets to remarkable and functional places that reflect Ferndale’s values and strengthen the local economy.
Comments on the Draft Plan are now closed. You can still explore the draft Multi-modal Network. This will open a new window. Click on a line to get a general idea of what is proposed. Use the check boxes in the legend to turn on and off layers to view over 200 specific area recommendations. Most every recommendation has links to additional resources. You can zoom in, change the background to a satellite image and even look at a the area in street view. You can view other people’s comments, vote on them or offer a response.
The Ferndale Moves! website launched as means to promote and share information on the City’s multi-modal transportation planning efforts. It is the place to find the most up to date information on the project. It is also the place to hold a community conversation on the future of transportation in Ferndale.
Ferndale Moves! is an outgrowth of building momentum in Ferndale.
- In 2010 the City passed a Complete Streets policy, expressing the desire to design Ferndale streets with all road users in mind – including walkers, bikers and transit vehicles.
- In 2012 City Council approved moving forward with a request for proposal to develop a multi-modal transportation plan, what is now known as Ferndale Moves!
- Currently Ferndale has been working with the Woodward Avenue Action Association, which received a federal grant to work on a Complete Streets Master Plan for the entire Woodward Corridor. Ferndale has been an active participant in Woodward Avenue Rapid Transit Alternatives Analysis
Ferndale Moves! provides a way to lay out a comprehensive direction for these efforts both within the City’s boundaries and in connecting Ferndale to the rest of the region.
- To improve the quality of life for the residents of Ferndale by offering a variety of viable and safe transportation choices appropriate for residents of all ages and abilities.
- To enhance the local economy by providing the type of transportation choices and physical environment that make a community an attractive place to live, establish a business and visit.
- To strengthen Ferndale’s brand as a one of the region’s premier walkable bikeable communities.
- To reduce traffic injuries and deaths by improving the safety of the transportation system for all modes.
- To enhance the personal well-being of Ferndale’s residents and reduce their health care costs by encouraging physical activity through everyday trips.
Ferndale Moves! Website
The Ferndale Moves! website is constantly evolving. All sections of the Draft Plan are now available for viewing. As the plan develops we hope to add updates on City complete streets projects and other multi-modal initiatives.
Currently, the draft Multi-modal Network is available for viewing, and we would like to hear what you think of the ideas. You can also review what is driving the proposals on the Background and Past Input pages, or go to the Public Input page to view the latest proposal and offer your thoughts on the recommendations.
To view all pages on this website, a site map is available here.